Moving to a new home is always a stressful process, but a long-distance move can be particularly overwhelming. Whether you’re moving across the country or internationally, there are a lot of details to consider and tasks to complete. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your long-distance move:
Make a plan
The first step in preparing for your house move is to make a plan. This will help you stay organised and ensure that you don’t forget any important tasks. Start by creating a timeline of all the things you need to do before, during, and after the move. Be sure to include tasks like:
- Notifying your employer, school, and any other relevant parties of your move
- Changing your address with the post office, banks, and other organisations
- Packing and labelling your belongings
- Arranging for transportation of your belongings
- Setting up utilities at your new home
Create a budget
Moving can be expensive, especially if you’re going a long distance. Be sure to create a budget and try to stick to it as closely as possible. Some things to consider when budgeting for your move include:
- The cost of hiring a moving company or renting a truck
- The cost of packing materials, such as boxes, tape, and bubble wrap
- Travel expenses, such as flights or gas for a road trip
- The cost of setting up utilities at your new home
- Any temporary living expenses, such as a hotel stay or Airbnb
Sort through your belongings
One of the most time-consuming tasks when preparing for a move is sorting through your belongings. This is especially true for a long-distance move, where you’ll need to carefully consider what to bring and what to leave behind. Here are a few tips for sorting through your things:
- Make a list of the items you use frequently and prioritise those for packing
- Get rid of anything you haven’t used in the last year or don’t plan on using in the near future
- Consider selling or donating items that you no longer need or want
- Look into whether it’s cost-effective to ship certain items or if it’s better to buy new ones at your destination
When it comes to packing for a long-distance move, it’s important to be as efficient as possible. This will help you save money on transportation costs and ensure that your belongings arrive safely at your new home. Here are some tips for packing efficiently:
- Use sturdy boxes and packing materials to protect your items during transport
- Avoid overloading boxes, as they can become heavy and difficult to lift
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes and lighter items in larger boxes
- Use plenty of bubble wrap or packing peanuts to protect fragile items
- Label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in
Hire a moving company or rent a truck
If you do decide to hire a moving company, be sure to research and compare several companies before making a decision. Look for a company that is licensed and insured, and be sure to read reviews from past customers.
If you choose to rent a truck, be sure to book it well in advance of your move, as trucks can be in high demand during peak moving season. You’ll also need to decide on the size of the truck you need based on the amount of stuff you have to move.
Set up utilities at your new home
Before you move into your new home, you’ll need to set up utilities such as electricity, gas, water, and internet. Be sure to call the appropriate companies well in advance of your move to ensure that everything is set up and ready to go when you arrive.
Change your address
Don’t forget to change your address with the post office and any other organisations that send you mail. This will ensure that you continue to receive important documents and packages after you move.
Notify relevant parties of your move
Be sure to notify your employer, school, and any other relevant parties of your move as soon as possible. This will allow them to update their records and ensure that you don’t miss any important communications.
Take care of yourself
Preparing for a long-distance move can be overwhelming, so be sure to take care of yourself during this process. Get plenty of rest, eat well, and don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends and family.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your long-distance move goes as smoothly as possible. With a little planning and organisation, you’ll be settled into your new home in no time. If your moving home in Lancashire why not get a free quote from us today?
We offer our moving services in Preston and Blackpool. Get in touch for more details.